Btcvicc

Mala Noche

The first Gus Van Sant movie is quite a trip into a black and white cinematography that can blow your mind at moments, especially when learning that his budget was US$25,000! Okay it was 1985 but still is a very low budget to create such a visually good movie.

Based on the Walt Curtis autobiographical novel of the same name with a screenplay co written by Van Sant, tells about doomed romance between a liquor store clerk (Walt) and a Mexican illegal immigrant (Johnny) and as the booklet in the DVD says: �Mala Noche is openly gay; so open in its gayness, in fact, that the narrative�s driving force �blind, unembarrassed homosexual lust- is established in a matter of seconds� and that�s exactly right.

But then and I totally agree when it says: �seen today, the film also seems far ahead of its time, in large part because it so blithely bypasses the identity politics and representational burdens of �gay cinema�.

Yes, this is a complex movie with a simple story that may not be suited for all audiences, perhaps not even to those that enjoy the genre as this is a real art house movie to enjoy for the story and for the uniqueness of its camera, editing and black, white and chiaroscuros.

If you get The Criterion Collection #407 DVD be sure to read the complete booklet as is quite interesting reading. I have to admit that I own several Van Sant movies and that I have a hard time watching movies like Elephant; but, I�ve seen Paranoid Park and is outstanding, as good as this one.

Not for all audiences, you have to like art or art house cinema.

Enjoy!

0 Response to "Mala Noche"